Are you someone that has been searching long and hard to find a sunscreen for you and your children that doesn’t contain Zinc or Titanium Dioxide nano particles in them? Are you tired of researching websites just to find out if sunscreen is even safe or not , only to find that you are more confused by conflicting studies ? I understand your dilemma because I went through the same thing! So let’s get started!
Let’s use some common sense! Sun Exposure falls under the category of ‘everything in moderation’.
- 1 in 3 cancers diagnosed worldwide is skin cancer (American Cancer Society)
- 95% of malignant melanomas are caused by excessive sun damage (Sunburns (even from your youth) have been known to cause skin cancer later in life.
Let’s talk Sunscreens!
Del Mar Organics Sunscreens claim to be the ” healthiest and most eco-conscious sun protection available using only non-nano zinc (a natural mineral that does not absorb into skin) and eight edible-grade organic ingredients – so your skin will not absorb any of the toxic ingredients found in typical sunscreens. They also claim the following, and if it is true, then this would be a great product, one in which I will try myself. (See the rest of the list below) .
Zinc oxide is superior to titanium dioxide and the only active ingredient the company uses , for the following reasons:
- Zinc oxide is the most effective UV absorber across the entire UVA&UVB spectrum
- Zinc oxide is made from the critical mineral nutrient zinc instead of the toxic heavy metal, titanium
- Zinc oxide holds tight to its electrons when it absorbs UV energy & limits the creation of free radicals that do damage & increase the risk of skin cancer
- Zinc oxide is the sole sunscreen active ingredient approved for use on children by FDA
See DEL MAR website below.
- You are better off with nonnanoparticle forms of the physical sun blockers.
- The risks associated with sun exposure are well mapped and well understood, and there is proof that using a sunscreen product lowers these risks of skin cancer. Sunscreen needs to be applied properly. (See below for types safe suncreens and applications).
Dr. Henry W. Lim, chairman of the Dermatology Department at Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, said “There just isn’t much hard data showing that applying these chemical sunscreens to your skin can lead to health problems… and many of the animal studies regarding sunscreen applications involve injecting or inhaling the chemicals, not rubbing them on your skin. “As of today there are no recorded health issues associated with sunscreen’s proper use,” he says.
How Dr. Lim can make these claims?
The skin is the largest organ in the human body .Yes! The skin (of an average adult) covers over 21 square feet of surface area and accounts for 6% to 10% of your body weight. The point is, if you are using a sunscreen that contains nano particulates of Titanium Dioxide, doesn’t the skin absorb these chemicals, and if so , end up in the liver (which by the way is the SECOND largest organ in the body making up for 2.5% of body weight.
Dr. Lim went on to say that spray-on sunscreens could present some unique dangers, because, unlike lotions spread on the skin, spray-ons can be inhaled. “That could lead to very different types of risks not associated with creams,” but there is no conclusive evidence as of yet.
APPLICATION of products are generally visible on the products container, as well as all of the listed ingredients. Note that most products recommend that you need to spread a minimum of 1 oz. in order to protect your entire body. Remember , most suncreen only last a couple of hours, and if you are perspiring or swimming manufacturers labels suggest that you apply the product even more frequently.
Level of Protection from UVB which is associated with redness & burns.
UVA, known to cause premature aging and skin cancer.
Broad Spectrum means coverage of both UVA and UVB.
SUNSCREEN Product Advertising MYTHS:
- Suncreens are waterproof: All products rub off after a few hours and must be reapplied. ALL DAY Protection is equally a myth. ALL sunscreen products rub off after a couple of hours, therefor in 2014, labeling by manufacturers must state EXACT windows of re-applications. (ie. 50 to 8- minutes)
- SPF 50 and above: There is no such thing as a Sun Protection Factor above 50 SPF
- Only products that have proven to protect against UVA and UVB rays may use the term BROAD SPECTRUM protection, so watch for this on labeling.
- SUNBLOCK Vs. SUNSCREEN : There is no proof of a sunblock, therefore Manufacturers or only allowed to use the word SUNSCREEN.
- Prevention of aging skin and skin Cancer: ONLY suncreens that cover both UVA and UVB protection are allowed to claim this.
- Oxybenzone is safe. MYTH., Studies show that Oxybenzone readily soaks through the skin and has hormone interactions. If your product contains this element, return it.
- Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are currently recommended over chemical blockers such as the benzones.
- Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A palmitate) is a great sunscreen additive, MYTH
“Sunscreen products may actually increase the speed at which malignant cells develop and spread skin cancer because they contain vitamin A and its derivatives, retinol, and retinyl palmitate.The problem occurs when this form of vitamin A is exposed to the sun (as opposed to when it is used in night cream, for example), which is why sunscreens that contain it should be avoided.”http://articles.mercola.com/ and Environmental Working Group (EWG)
NOTE: If your sunscreen was purchased from a drug store, grocery store, or discount chain, there’s a high probability that your sunscreen is on EWG’s “Worst Sunscreens List.” It may surprise you to learn that brands such as Neutrogena, Rite Aid, Walgreens “Well” brand, “Up and Up” brand from Target, and Coppertone were among those that made the most toxic list. Best throw these products away.
What to avoid when purchasing Sunscreen Products:
- Avoid Spray-on Sunscreens
- Powders & Sunscreen Towelettes
- Avoid +50 SPF : This gives you a false sense of security
What Sunscreen ingredients are safe?
- Titanium dioxide is a physical filter for UVB and UVA2, while zinc oxide is effective against UVB and both ranges of UVA (UVA1 and UVA2) Look for these two ingredients on the label
- Non nano sunscreen chemicals, which work by absorbing the sun’s ultraviolet radiation as opposed to reflecting itare best.
Unlike many cancer prevention websites that ask that you apply Sunscreen every single day for sun exposure, a growing community of doctors actually reject this idea based on the Viatmin D factor. Sunscreens actually block your body’s ability to produce Vitamin D. Optimizing your vitamin D levels may reduce your risk of as many as 16 different types of cancer, including pancreatic, lung, ovarian, breast, prostate, and skin cancers.
- YES! At least 20 minutes 0f daily sun exposure suggests there are health benefits as well aids the body in the production of Viamin D by exposing at least 40 percent of your body to sunlight for short periods .
- What about if you are facing long periods of daily sun exposure? EASY! Where a hat, loose clothing that covers you skin, use an an umbrella or sit in the shade. After you get your daily vitamin D (aproximately 20 minutes) then a safe sunscreen can be applied as well. Keep it simple!
- What about my face? You can protect you face daily sun exposure by using a safe sunscreen or a hat, as your facial skin is thin and is more prone to sun damage such as premature wrinkling. Moisturizing also aids in the drying out of skin due to the sun. Best defense, stay in the shade!
- Consider the use of an “internal sunscreen” like Astaxanthin which offers additional protection against sun damage.
- Astaxanthin not only helps protect your skin from future damage, it can also reverse years of damage.
- What about a healthy diet? YES! Fresh, raw, unprocessed foods like raw veggies and fruits are powerful antioxidants that not only supply nutrients that your body needs to maintain a healthy balance of omega-6 and omega-3 oils in your skin; these nutrients actually fight free radicals caused by sun damage!
THE HONEST COMPANY– Organic
Nuture My Body Sunscreen– Organic
Discalimer: The Truth Denied.com in way endorses or conducts any manner of business with the above mentioned companies and manufactures in the aforementioned article. We do not sell, give-away, advertise or recommend any one particular product otr brand of product. If indeed TTD has tested a product past or future, it was purchased by TTD, and is not in exchange for any commentary on the product, nor is it intended to be a product endorsement.–2015TTD
Other Breaking News Stories:
What did the experts reveal ? Were the Roswell slides the missing link
that UFO researchers hoped it would be ?
Teleportation: A new reality
While working at Area 51 in the late 80’s, Bob Lazar observed the Aurora on the tarmac. This a artist rendering of the aft engine based of Bob Lazar’s observations and description of the craft. Read more here…
3 thoughts on “Do Sunscreens cause Cancer? Nanoparticle Titanium Dioxide = Cancer?”
Very good, I have often wondered about this and in the past have even taken the inclination that no sunscreen is better. Good suggestions. I have also been creating my own products, using only organic ingredients. I don’t trust large supermarket chains
Great article and research Roxy. Thanks for the suggested sunscreens. Skin cancer, Melanoma is on the rise. I know this having survived Melanoma that spread into my lymph nodes. Not a nice surgery… Nasty scars and other complications from loosing some lymph nodes. What I find interesting is what my surgeon told me after my surgery. She Stated in essence that Melanoma cases have risen over 300% in the past 10 years due to the increase of UV radiation. UV radiation is at dangerous levels. She further stated it’s due to the depletion and damage to the planets Ozone Layer. Pretty scary…
Thanks Jim! Thanks for your statistics as well………yes indeed the skin cancer cases are on the rise, I did not know that it was 300% though……..so thank you for the information! Yes, there are some misconceptions regarding sunscreen products, so I hope the article cleared it up. I have done further research and have found some home made sunscreens as well, and coconut oil seems to be the top of the list for UVA and UNB protection. I will post an article with some homemade applications as well, but before I do , I wanted to be sure they actually work! Thanks again for your input! Glad you survived as well! Bless you Jim!