It is the duty of the patriot to protect its country from its government!” -“Thomas Paine
The issues and violations of “Constitutional Rights” are blurred in regards to the Oregon standoff. After watching several interviews with Bundy (whether it be by phone with CNN or on camera filmed by the ‘militia” themselves) I see one convoluted story. Readers, if you have been scouring the net in an attempt to understand the so called “revolution” regarding the Oregon Occupiers story and have come up confused, you are not alone. The reporting by mainstream news agencies is sketchy at best, and inadequately providing the public with the history of both the Hammond’s and the Bundy’s, the infamous Ranchers. Delving into hundreds of reports and blogs doesn’t help, not much anyway. But I have managed to at least piece together some of the chronological history of events with the Bundy Ranch and the Hammond testimony. This should guide you through the maze as well give you a feel for just how powerful our Federal government is, as well as a silenced media. Crickets.
It’s really not possible for me to say that a land grab is taking place in America by the BLM. Or is this a possible gun rights issue? I do know that ranchers are a pretty tough breed, usually with decent morals, strong family ties and values. I do know that the Bundy’s have stood their ground in the past, but I question if they have overlooked their own due diligence when it came to 20 years of unpaid grazing fees, or did they have grazing rights to begin with ? Did the Hammond’s required “controlled burns” purposely get out of hand , and exactly what were the financial damages incurred, because I can’t seem to find any? Their stories are compelling, and as I listen to each and every interview by the Bundy’s and read their pleas from their families to the American public, I can’t help but think “Man! The BLM is doing it’s damnedest to put these ranchers out of business”. -Roxy Lopez, The Truth Denied
Be sure to take our poll (see below).
The bottom line for the Occupants of the Oregon standoff: ‘We will not back down’
The story is about the Hammond family and the Bundy family, both ranchers in Oregon.
FACTS in the timeline re: Hammond’s
- 2001, Steven Hammond (Son) made a routine call to the fire department, informing them that he was going to be conducting a prescribed burn on their ranch. Subsequently he started a prescribed fire on their private property and the fire went onto public land and burned 127 acres of grass. The fires were put out by the Hammond’s as well. There was no communication about the burn from the federal government to the Hammonds at that time. Prescribed fires are a common method that Native Americans and ranchers have used in the area to increase the health & productivity of the land for many centuries.
- 2006- Multiple fires inflamed the countryside due to a massive lightning storm. To prevent the fire from destroying their winter range and possibly their home, Steven Hammond started a backfire on their own private property. The backfire was successful in putting out the lightning fires that had covered thousands of acres within a short period of time. The backfire saved much of the range and vegetation needed to feed the cattle through the winter. Steven’s mother, Susan Hammond said: “The backfire worked perfectly, it put out the fire, saved the range and possibly our home”. All was good until the next day.
- Federal agents filed a police report at Harney County Sheriff’s office making accusations against Dwight and Steven Hammond for starting the backfire. A few days after the backfire a Range-Con from the Burns District BLM office asked Steven if he would meet him in town (Frenchglen) for coffee. Steven accepted. When leaving he was arrested by the Harney County Sheriff Dave Glerup and BLM Ranger Orr. Sheriff Glerup then ordered him to go to the ranch and bring back his father. Both Dwight and Steven were booked and on multiple Oregon State charges.
- The Harney County District Attorney reviewed the accusation, evidence and charges, and determined the accusations against Dwight & Steven Hammond did not warrant prosecution therefore they dropped all the charges.
What were the initial charges?
2011 the U.S. Attorney Office accused Dwight and Steven Hammond of completely different set of charges;
Charges #1: Accused the Hammonds of being “Terrorists” under the Federal Anti terrorism Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996. ( This act carries a minimum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum sentence of death. #2 :Mug shots of the Hammond’s were posted throughout the town, and they labeled them both ARSONISTS.
- In September 2006, Dwight & Susan Hammond’s home was raided. The FBI found nothing .
- During the trial: Much of the facts about the fires, land and why the Hammond’s acted the way they did was not allowed into the proceedings and was not heard by the jury. (Including the facts pertaining to the Hammond’s who had been subjected to vindictive behavior by multiple federal agencies for years.
- June 22, 2012- Dwight and Steven were found guilty of starting both the 2001 and the 2006 fires by the jury. However, the federal courts convicted them both as “Terrorists” under the 1996 Anti terrorism Act. Judge Hogan sentenced Dwight (Father) to 3 months in prison and Steven (son) to 12 months in federal prison. Both were also stipulated to pay $400,000 to the BLM. Judge Hogan overruling the minimum terrorist sentence, commented if the full five years were required it would be a violation of the 8th amendment (cruel and unusual punishment). The day of the sentencing Judge Hogan retired as a federal judge.
- January 4, 2013- Dwight and Steven reported to prison. They fulfilled their sentences, (Dwight 3 months, Steven 12 months). Dwight was released in March 2013 and Steven, January 2014. The nightmare was finally over, but was it?
- June 2014- An appeal was filed by Rhonda Karges, ( Field Manager for the BLM), her husband Chad Karges, (Refuge Manager for the Malheur Wildlife Refuge) & attorney Frank Papagni with the 9th District Federal Court seeking Dwight’s and Steven’s return to federal prison for the entire 5 years. Note: This serves as further vindictive behavior.
- October 2015- 9th District Court “re-sentenced” Dwight and Steven Hammond to prison for several more years. Steven (46) has a wife and 3 children. Dwight (74) will leave Susan (74) to be alone after 55 years of marriage. Note: If he survives, he will be 79 when he is released.
- To add insult to injury, the Hammond’s were forced to grant the BLM first right of refusal for land purchase; in other words, if the Hammonds ever sold their ranch they would have to sell it to the BLM.
- Dwight and Steven are ordered to report to federal prison again on January 4th, 2016 to begin their re-sentencing. Both their wives will have to manage the ranch for several years without them.To date the Hammonds have paid $200,000 to the BLM, and the remainder $200,000 must be paid before the end of year (2015). If the Hammonds cannot pay the fines to the BLM, they will be forced to sell the ranch to the BLM or face further prosecution. (more citations here).Visit the BUNDY RANCH BLOG HERE
January 4, 2016 The Bundy’s : Father, son ranchers who inspired Oregon militia to seize federal building surrender to California prison officials
In an effort to draw attention to a the arrests of Oregon Ranchers (“Dwight Lincoln Hammond, Jr., 73, and his son, Steven Dwight Hammond, 46,) who are scheduled to begin five year prison sentences , the three brothers from the Cliven Bundy family and approximately 100-150 armed militia have taken control of Malheur Wildlife Refuge Headquarters in the wildlife reserve. They are prepared to stay there indefinitely.
PRESS CONFERENCE with the “militia” group in Oregon.
“Ostensibly, this, too, is about a landlord-tenant dispute between a public-land rancher and the public land managers.” – AZ Central News
However, Ryan Bundy, one of the leaders of the armed militia occupying the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, says locals support them.
But do the locals really support the Bundy’s? According to the NY Daily News, Oregon residents no longer feel comfortable with the threat of a militia type group of over 100 armed protesters in their own backyard. On the other hand there are thousands of ranchers nationwide who can appreciate Bundy’s and the Hammond’s standing up to the federal government in pusuit of protecting private property rights for every American.
Oregonian farmer and owner of FARM WARS Barbara Peterson has her own observations.
“This is open range out here. This means that if you want critters off of your land, fence it in, not the other way around. Many ranchers have grazing rights that are being eroded by the BLM, and creating a backfire to stop a runaway fire is totally acceptable. Grazing rights are explained here: http://rangenet.org/directory/stern/thesis/chapter2.html. Ranchers have been historically using land that does not belong to them that no one else has been using, to run their cattle. Then the BLM steps in and starts selling permits because the land is “Public Land.” Public Land is basically land that the government has taken for itself and controls supposedly “for the people.” The government makes money off of that land. As for the “for the people” part, that is highly debatable. A lot of support for the government’s stance comes from the water rights side, that states any use of the land other than tribal is illegal, and the government should take over the land for the indigenous people, which makes no sense at all. My take is that if land has been used for grazing for years and the government steps in to claim that land and charge a fee, that is wrong. Heritage rights should be respected. There is another agenda at work, and that is Agenda 21. The government, through the BLM is looking to grab as much control over land as possible. Whether or not the Bundys are willing or unwilling participants in a Hegelian Dialectic situation by taking over the station is yet to be seen. Way too much emphasis is place on “guns” and this just might play into the issue of gun control by the government. The timing is definitely suspect.”- Barbara Peterson can be found on Facebook
However the Harney County Sheriff has a different view….
“You said you were here to help the citizens of Harney County. That help ended when a peaceful protest became an armed and unlawful protest…It’s time for you to leave our community, go home to your families, and end this peacefully,” -Harney County Sheriff David Ward
Note from the Bundy Family
“The abuses and corruptions affecting people like the Hammonds are symptoms of a more encompassing problem. Government employees (fulltime & elected) have changed their culture from one of service to, and respect for the people, to the roll of being a masters. On the subject of the land, it is evident that government employees are no longer assisting the people in claiming, using and defending property. Instead, they have become the people’s competitor to the benefits of the land, and are willing to use force on those who they erroneously compete against.The federal government adversely controls over 582,000,000 acres of the western lands, 51% of the entire western land mass. They also have recently begun claiming over 72% of western resources such as the sub-surface minerals, forestry and waters. This is in comparison to 4.29% federally controlled land in the east.The impact of the federal government controlling the land and resources inside the western states is hard to calculate. The negative impact on the people can be seen economically, politically, and socially. In order for any people to survive, let alone prosper, it takes the land and resources to do it. Everything we eat, the clothing we wear, the homes we live in, the cars we drive, and so on, come from the earth. All physical comfort and prosperity originates from the earth. Individuals composing the federal government, understanding the origination of wealth, are reserving these resources for themselves and are willing to use force to retain them. The ramifications of their action are slowly forcing the people of the west into poverty.Due to the fact that people cannot survive without land and resource, the federal government’s action in administering the lands for their own benefit will be the cause of publicdiscontent and unrest until it is corrected.The solution is very simple, the land and resources must be made available to its rightful owners, the people. This can be done peacefully if the states & counties would check and balance the federal government as designed. When this happens, the people will begin to prosper and much of the economical, political and social problem of the west will diminish. Prosperity, peace and tranquility will be the results.Thank you,Ammon BundyBundy Family”
Even GOP presidential hopeful Ted Cruz, one of big government’s biggest critics, said earlier that the gun-toting lawbreakers should “stand down peaceably.”
“Every one of us has a constitutional right to protest, to speak our minds,” Cruz said in Iowa. “But we don’t have a constitutional right to use force and violence.”
His call echoed Republican competitors Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio, who also said law and order should prevail. Other than these statements, not a peep from the politicos.
HISTORY of what the Government owns:
What Oregon residents have to say!
“They are NOT militia and I’m sick and tired of hearing them called that! They are American Christian Terrorists. If they were Muslims doing the same thing, they’d be called terrorists.
Look up the definition of militia. A militia is created to protect our country from outside takeover, not to take over our own government. These people are traitors and cowards. A group of males (I won’t call them men) that steal at every chance they get.
Now they want land returned to them that was NEVER theirs to begin with. It belongs to the descendants of the original Americans. White men stole the land from them. So now these dimwits want to steal it back from those that stole it in the first place? I hope we throw them in prison and weld the door shut. They don’t deserve to be part of this great Nation!”
“interesting how a 14 year old with a home made clock is suspected as a “terrorist” but a bunch of white guys with guns taking over a federal building are not. “
Update on 1-5-2015
As the story unfolds in Oregon State, you have to wonder o Bundy is being set up by the BLM to confiscate private land or if Bundy is a true pravacteur as many believe. CNN reported on 1-5-15 that “Bundy borrowed $530,000 in 2010 for his company, Valet Fleet Service LLC, according to public records on usaspending.gov. Valet Fleet Service is a truck maintenance company in Arizona.”
Bundy went on to say:
“I am not anti-government,” he said when asked about the loan while standing outside the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, adding that he thinks “there is a role for government and that the federal government’s role is to protect the states from the outside world.” “And the state’s role is to protect the counties from the federal government — and the county’s role is to protect the people from the state so the people can go about freely using their lands and resources and their rights. … So there’s a role, but all government’s role is to serve the people. Whenever those governments step out, then that’s when we step in.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ryan-bundy-locals-support-occupation-oregon-article-1.2486350http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ryan-bundy-locals-support-occupation-oregon-article-1.2486350 http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/04/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-protest/ http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/us/oregon-wildlife-refuge-armed-protest/ http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/01/03/full-story-on-whats-going-on-in-oregon-militia-take-over-malheur-national-wildlife-refuge-in-protest-to-hammond-family-persecution/ http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/militia-oregon-wildlife-refuge-burns-bundy-hammond/ http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/editorial/2016/01/04/oregon-militia-ammon-bundy/78274652/ http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/militia-oregon-wildlife-refuge-burns-bundy-hammond/